Unlocked Cell Phone Guide
what is an unlocked phone?
An unlocked cell phone isn't tied to any one carrier or contract, so you can shop around. Plus, you're free to buy a new phone anytime, with more choices in models and features.
check out the advantages
freedom of choice
• you have more choices on models, carriers and plans • you can shop around and save money • there are no hidden fees on a monthly carrier plan • you'll avoid roaming charges • it's easy to upgrade or buy a new phone anytime
• a SIM card (available at Target stores) connects with your carrier • you can take out the SIM card from your old phone and use it in a new phone, as long as it’s the right size • another option is to switch out SIM cards from several compatible carriers • get help from a Target Tech team member, or see your phone’s user guide for more info
ideal for travel
• you can buy an unlocked phone in the U.S. and purchase a SIM card in the country you visit • pay the locals' rate and avoid high roaming rates • Dual-SIM unlocked phones accept 2 SIM cards: one for the country you're visiting, another for home
know your choices
• most unlocked phones are only GSM-compatible • they can be used with select carriers, including AT&T and T-Mobile • they work with international data plans
universal unlocked phones
• you can choose almost any carrier or plan • carriers include AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint • they work with international data plans
certified pre-owned phones
• they're new or only slightly used • they have little, if any, cosmetic damage • compared to new phones, they're a less expensive option